Thursday, November 11, 2010

simple words from a simple girl

I've always thought my writing was "simple". I never use big words and I'd like to believe my sentences are usually coherent (enough).

The winner of this years "The Bad Writing Contest" was...

"Judith Butler, a Guggenheim Fellowship-winning professor of rhetoric and comparative literature at the University of California at Berkeley, admired as perhaps “one of the ten smartest people on the planet,” wrote the sentence that captured the contest’s first prize."

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

WHAT!?!?!

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Somehow attempting to read that created a strange feeling of panic inside me...like I was about to get hit by a car.

Strange.

*susy* said...

it makes you take a deep breath and try to say/read it one exhale. as if you're blowing out a candle and your next birthday/year depends on it.
Is it just me or do we really get eachother sometimes Jeremy. *hearts*

Jeremy said...

smiles...I think we do. :)

Or perhaps the act of trying to read that is just messing with our heads!